Friday, April 15, 2011

Day 12 - To Write, You Must Read

I have watched Jeremy C. Shipp (@JeremyCShipp) promote his novels for well over a year now. In fact, he's probably the first self-published author I've ever virtually met. I will confess that I haven't actually read any of his books, but that's because his genres aren't my normal cup of tea. This might change.


I just read his short, "Neighbors". Possessing a 10-year-old who prefaces any trip outside of the house with "Can I bring my DS?" I completely related to the adult in the story. I was hooked within seconds. I also loved the point of view in the story. Finally, I could see a smart use of the second person point of view. 


On Twitter, Shipp asked if he should write more stories like this. I agree, whole-heartedly. What was creepy about this story to me was the fact that the narrator is so stuck on Maria's death, he takes the kids he's babysitting on a tour that ends up at the hospital where Maria died. CREEPY. Though as a mom, anytime children and death are in the same story, I can't help but get the chills. 


So check out "Neighbors" and maybe give Jeremy C. Shipp a follow. Together, we can discover more of his writing (though I'm very chicken, scary movies still give me nightmares, not kidding.)


"Imperfect Timing" arriving Fall 2011. Johnathan Michaels, a robotics engineer, jeopardizes his engagement with his business partner when a previous one-night stand surfaces, carrying his child.

No comments:

Post a Comment