Sunday, February 17, 2013

Back In the Saddle...Writing

BACK IN THE SADDLE....WRITING
I fail a lot. I'm that person with a hundred ideas and the ability to execute maybe 5 of them. That's okay.

For a few days now I've mulled an incredibly ambitious goal, and it's all because of a conversation I had with a newer writer. Straight up she asked me if I was writing anything new.... how do I say I've been writing SIX something news for over a year? Wait, just like that.

In the course of the conversation, I confessed that I am a mountain climber. I only wrote Cancelled to see if I could. It was my Mount Mitchell, the highest peak in the Appalachian Mountain chain (6,683 feet/2,037 meters).

I'm scaling Everest! (29,029 feet / 8,848 meters)

Now, this is NOT my fault...I blame James Scott Bell. I am reading his Fiction Attack, which is a bit disjointed as far as writing help books go and recycles some of his old stuff that I know well because I like his books on writing, but all the same, it's a great book for a refresher course for me.

What would I do if I was truly fearless?

789,000 words between now and December 31, 2013, that's what.

Say what?

I know, you're thinking "Holy Cow, Elizabeth, that's um, beyond ambitious!" It sure is. It's 18,000 words a week between now and then. I'm aiming for 20,000 starting tomorrow. 

What happens if I fail?

Wonderful things. If* I fail, I will still produce a ton of words since I'm really good at only managing 25-50% of my bigger goals. That's STILL 200,000 to 350,000 words! Oh, woe is me! LOL.

Yeah, but does this mountain even like exist? In this reality?

YES! I type 750-1500 words per hour, depending on how much I have outlined. More when I have fewer distractions. I am trained. I've groomed myself for this for ages to just type, and type, and type. I know I can write 18,000 words in 48 hours. I did that to FINISH Cancelled. I know I write thousands of words in responses on Kindle Boards in just 20-30 minutes.

I can and I will do this. 

And that tomorrow is now today, so this counts as my "journaling" and since I'm up, no time like the present to get started. Later on I will break down all fo the projects etc. I am working on. For now, I have 6 that I can throw words at.




No comments:

Post a Comment