Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Day 1 of Being a One Author Revolution

I am annoying my close friends and family with my excitement about self-publishing. Amazon's Createspace.com service revolutionized my plan for my novel, including lighting a fire under my butt to move up my publishing timeline. Originally, I planned to write my book and do the submittal route to an agent. While I think one day I will need an agent ( I better!), right now I want to stand on my own two feet.

This changes things.
First, I realized I have more story than book! Crunching the numbers with my accountant hat on, I don't like the overhead cost of a paperback longer than 325 pages. I have two choices, I can edit, or I can turn it into a series. The later just came to me, and would shift my publishing schedule. Hmm, I'll have to think about that when I pour over my storyline tonight for a final inventory. Suddenly a thought of telling my entire story with four books from the perspective my four main characters sounds appealing. Or it might just be yet another case of biting off more than I can chew. I think I need to keep the adage "finishing is better than starting" in mind. I'm great at starting new stuff, but finishing is another story.

In the marketing department of my one-woman show, a new idea came to me from an indie author blog: book trailers. I am so making one! I found royalty free music from an artist name Kevin MacLeod at imcompetech.com and a few of his pieces really moved me. Just listening to his samples were bringing visions of stories that would fit them. There is also a great deal of royalty free photography out there, but I have friends who are fantastic graphic artists. I'm sure I could convince one or two of them to give me a fair deal on their work in exchange for credit and exposure.

Even though this is my first novel, I fully intend on building buzz for it before it publishes. Again, being queen of my publishing universe, I can release sample chapters to the various fan fiction communities I am a member of.

Well time to stop talking about it and be about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment